A variation on a Crank’s recipe for Aubergine Parmesan which is quite a hit with the various vegetarians who venture forth into the serving realms of my kitchen. Considering this recipe has been YHA’ised (all the good herbs taken out and replaced by foil packaged dry herbs) it still tastes surprisingly good, in fact I’ve been known to take the last portion home with me on a number of occasions. The recipe is a little pan-heavy, but well worth the effort.

Prep time, approx 10-15mins
Cooking time 30mins

Serves 4 - 6

Potatoes, 1lb
Courgettes 1lb, diced
Butter
Medium sized onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, sliced into segments
roughly 2 tbsp of wholemeal flour
1/4 pints of milk (142ml)
A crushed garlic clove
Basil ½ tsp
Oregano ½ tsp
Salt and pepper (to season)
Parmesan cheese (although cheddar is perfectly acceptable)
3tbsp breadcrumbs (the recipe suggests wholemeal, but I use a 50/50 mix of white/brown)
chopped parsley to garnish

Dice the potatoes, and par-boil in salted water for roughly 10mins, till slightly tender. Drain, keeping roughly ½ pint of the liquid aside for later.
Sauté the courgettes in oil until golden, whilst frying the onions gently in butter. Add the tomatoes and wholemeal flour to the onions, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Then add the potato water, milk, garlic, herbs and any seasoning. Bring this concoction to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Spoon the potatoes and the courgettes in a warmed serving dish (A square Pyrex dish works best), and cover with the tomato sauce.
Mix well with the breadcrumbs and cheese, and place in a pre-warmed oven at 200c (400 F/ Gas Mark 6) for about 20minutes.

Enjoy, and any feedback on the recipe is greatly accepted.