Ok, the gloves are officially off.

Confused? Let me explain....

I'm running Windows Vista on my laptop. (Please note, I'm resisting the urge to make any Vista jokes, Windows does that enough for me. Damn)
Anyway, I'm using Orange Broadband as my ISP, and its been pretty good so far...

But, over the last, oh, five days, i've been connecting to the internet throught the modem ok, and able to access the iTunes store throgh iTunes, but whenever i try to use IE to browse the internet, it complains off "Not being connected", despite the nice little icons on my taskbar saying that it blatently is, and the fact that in the background, iTunes is downloading Shinedown's album.

In my desperation, I have;

  1. resat all of IE's settings
  2. reinstalled IE7
  3. downloaded firefox
  4. screamed just a litte bit
  5. and been bounced back and forth between the 'The Tech Guys' and Orange, both of who say its, 'not our problem gov, its Orange/Currys/Gods'

So this is a national service plea. Does anyone have any idea what is going on in my litte machine, and how to make it work.


How am I writing this then? Through realplayer, of all things.

Help and Advice So Far.....

  1. 2007-10-18 $ (6.7 min) The Debutante says re October 18, 2007: Sheesh! I wish I could help you. My only practical advice is, unfortunately, rather expensive. It's called Apple.
  2. 2007-10-18 $ (16.4 hr) XWiz says re October 18, 2007: I don't know if this is any help, or rather the pages it links to in the main body. Aside from that, I have to agree with The Debutante... :)
  3. 2007-10-18 (1.7 hr) DonJaime says re October 18, 2007: I had a similar problem which was solved on the "Connections" tab of "Internet Options": the options for automatic dialling have to match what you want, and the LAN settings mustn't get in the way. If you have a connection, checking "never dial" should make it use it. (This information is given without guarantee of fitness for purpose.)
Thanks to all the help offered so far guys and gals, but so far, no luck!
I took the drastic solution of re-installing Windows, so now I'm back to IE. Thanks to DEB, XWiz, and DonJaime for your help and suggestions!!