For Gamma Girl and family, because I'm clueless about the world of superhero comics - but not desserts. I suspect this is the best "blue" dessert in the world.



Blueberry Buckle*

Ah...warm, syrupy blueberries topped with a lovely brown sugar crisp. Let's forget that blueberries are healthy, and just might help the body fight cancer, heart disease, asthma and cataracts.

This is dessert. Enjoy.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups (about 1 liter) fresh blueberries, rinsed and completely dried
  • 1-1/2 cups (187.5 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (yes, an extra tablespoon; keep separate)
  • 1-1/2 cups (270g) light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (113.4g) salted butter, cut into small pieces
  • Vanilla ice cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).

2. Spread the blueberries in an 8x8x2-inch (2 liter) square Pyrex baking dish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the berries.

3. Thoroughly blend the 1-1/2 cups flour, brown sugar and cinnamon, then cut in the butter to make coarse crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over berries.

4. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the blueberry juice starts to bubble, and the topping is light to medium brown.

5. Cool until just slightly warm, or to room temperature. To serve, spoon into bowls and top with vanilla ice cream.



*Some might call this a fruit "crisp" rather than a "buckle"; I defer to the term on my grandmother's recipe card. You would never, ever argue with my grandmother about such things.