Wow, its that time of year again - thats right, Summer! I really love summer in Australia, especially in Sydney and even more so if you are a music lover (such as myself!) Summer in Australia represents (as in most countries I would imagine) the time for almost all of the music festivals that happen each year - off the top of my head in up coming months we have Homebake, Gatecrasher Summer Sound System 2001 and what this node concerns of course, the Big Day Out number 10.

Yes, thats right number 10! I can't believe there have been that many already. On a personal note this will be my fourth attendance, and I can't wait. I can't think of too many other events that I look forward to as much each year.

Of course it's not all happiness and light (unfortunately). Last year at the Sydney show a 15 year old (I think) girl was killed during Limp Bizkit's set, which of course set the media and parents into a frenzy - questions were asked about safety, security, should the show go ahead? While it was a terrible thing that happened, I don't think it represents the event fairly. It was a terrible accident, but thats really it. But now thats neither here now there as the next one is just around the corner.

Some changes had to be made however because of the unfortunate events of the previous year. The biggest change is that the event is now rated MA. For those non Austrlians out there that means No-one under 15 admitted without a parent or guardian. Also after enough complaints about availiablity of water last year (its was a day in the 30's (degrees celcius) mostly outside - very hot!) you now get a water bottle as part of the ticket price at entry.

Bit enough already, the details of the event so far!

Shows Announced This Year

  • Auckland - 18 January 2002
  • Gold Coast - 20 January 2002
  • Sydney - 26 January 2002
  • Melbourne - 28 January 2002
  • Adelaide - 01 February 2002
  • Perth - 03 February 2002

    And of course the real reason to go - the bands announced so far
    From foreign shores we have

  • Prodigy
  • Crystal Method
  • New Order
  • NOFX
  • Garbage
  • Dave Clarke

    And from the home front are

  • Gerling
  • Shihad
  • Grinspoon
  • Regurgitator
  • Magic Dirt
  • Superheist

    But thats not all! No! Ring now and we'll throw in a free set of steak knives! Heh.. just kidding. But many more bands are still to be announced in the upcoming months. So, what are you waiting for? Don't wait, go get your tickets now! NOW DAMMIT!

    See Also Big Day Out 2001