Agitating the Peasants

When the Black Death reached England in 1351, the population was at breaking point. A few months later, the landlords were hard pressed to find men enough to work their farms. As a result of this, wages rose and conditions for the average peasant were better than they had been for centuries. In an attempt to stop inflation, wage rises, and increasing freedom for serfs, the government introduced the Statute of Labourers, which put a cap on wages. A black market of labour flourished as desperate land owners struggled to reclaim land left untended and re-establish their power bases.

Because of the new wages and reduced population, peasants were living very well. From a diet of cabbages and gruel, peasants could now afford bread (!) and occasionally meat and milk. They had more choices and many migrated to the increasingly wealthy cities.

Heretics such as Wyclif and John Ball were roaming the country during this time, agitating for church reform. They wanted much the same thing as the Reformation achieved two centuries later: a ban on the sale of indulgences; a bible written in English; enforcement of the monastic vows of chastity and poverty. These heretics, especially the Lollard group, had powerful supporters such as John of Gaunt (although he dropped them when they became too radical). There was a bible published by Wyclif during these years, named after him, that was written in the English of the common people (I think a copy of it lives at Trinity College, Dublin, with the Book of Kells).

Meanwhile, Edward III, the king, was fighting France in a conflict known as the Hundred Years War. He and his son, Edward the Black Prince, were excellent generals and for a while it looked like the English were winning. But Edward the Black Prince died of dysentery, and Edward III died a few years later, leaving the throne to his young grandson Richard II, whose uncle, John of Gaunt, was regent for him. Gaunt was unpopular but good at ruling, and Richard was a weak sort of king. Okay, he was only a boy, but that's no excuse. During this time, the war in France went very badly. The country was nearly bankrupted and men who should have been farming were off fighting and dying.

Poll taxes were being levied regularly in the decades after the Black Death to raise money for the king's armies. The plague struck again every so often to keep everyone awake (or dead) and took mostly children born since the previous outbreaks of plague. Richard II, a frivolous monarch, favoured foreign nobles in his courts and merchants of Flanders and France were growing rich in London, not to mention everyone's favourite scapegoat the Jews. It was in this atmosphere of social turbulence and economic uncertainty that the poll tax of 1380 was announced...

The Great Tax Evasion

In the poll tax of 1378, John of Gaunt, the richest man in England, had paid several pounds (240 pence per pound) and the poorest peasants one groat (4 pence). In 1380, John of Gaunt paid several shillings (12 pence) and a peasant could be asked for three groats. In a time when the wages were still only a few shillings a year for most people, this was ridiculous. So when Richard's tax collectors arrived, nobody was home. Records show that up to half the population of any town had mysteriously disappeared since the previous year. When the tax was counted, Richard was angry and sent his tax collectors around again. They were met with hostile bands of peasants and fled.

The Peasants Revolt of 1381

It took some time for the tax evasion to happen, and still more time for the king to send his collectors back. Tensions were high, people were angry, and eventually peasants in the south of England marched on London. Sympathisers in the city opened the gates, and in the (relatively humane and non-violent) riots that followed, foreign merchants were lynched, several members of government were executed and their heads paraded on pikes. Few others were hurt or killed, and while the rioters stormed, fired and destroyed numerous mansions, including John of Gaunt's Savoy Palace, priceless objects were destroyed rather than looted. Nobody is known to have died in the sacking of the Savoy, and Gaunt's mistress escaped unharmed.

As they rioted, the rebels sang their catchphrase: "When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman?"

After a few days of rioting, the king agreed to meet the leaders of the riot at Mile End outside the city. The king and rioters arrived as planned. It is important to realise that in the great English tradition, the rioters did not want to kill or remove the king. They simply wanted him to appoint better ministers who would not mislead him.

Richard and his attendants (minus John of Gaunt, who was overseas) met and spoke with the rebel leader, Wat Tyler. Here the stories differ, but it is clear that at some point Tyler unknowingly committed an offence of some description (did he touch the king? say something rude? who can tell now) and one of the king's attendants drew his sword and struck Tyler down. The rabble erupted and Richard made the best move he made during his short reign: He rode right into the crowd and spoke to them. He pointed out that he was there king (they cheered) and that he was in full sympathy with them (they cheered) and that he would happily grant them freedom from serfdom right now. He then told the ecstatic crowd that they should go home, right now, spreading the word and celebrating their freedom. He, Richard, would take care of everything. Some stayed to be written manumissions (a paper stating freedom of the bearer from serfdom) on the spot, but most left immediately.

Richard Betrays His Loyal Subjects

That's right, as soon as the rabble had dispersed, that wretched man changed his mind. He sent out the army to arrest all peasants holding manumissions handed out at the meeting at Mile End, and he declared serfdom to be as real as ever it was. However, the army was out and the leaders were dispersed: the Peasants' Revolt was over.

Nemosyn Has Her Half Groats Worth

It is my opinion that if John of Gaunt had been home instead of traipsing around Castile with his wife and her army, none of this would ever have happened. I have strong opinions on this subject, that will eventually be noded under the title of How To Run A Feudal Kingdom.