Unfortunately, the anime series Rurouni Kenshin dosen't really get interesting until the Kyoto Chapter of the series (Also called the "Shishio Saga"). This doesn't begin until some time around episode 25 or so. This is most unfortunate, because skeptics or the unopinionated tend to lose interest before the series gets truly interesting.

Although many die-hard fans of the anime call this blasphemous, when I introduce a new viewer to Kenshin, I begin by showing them the four-part OAV that serves as a prequel to the entire series. Called "Recollections" (or "Samurai X" for the US release), this four part movie is much higher-quality animation, and is the story that takes place ten years before the beginning of the anime's TV episodes (and should NOT be confused with the "Kenshin Movie" that takes place chronologically halfway through the series). Thankfully, the OAV has been released across two DVDs here in the states (Finally!).

It is the OAV, in my opinion, that elevates kenshin from a "good" anime to a "great" one. I must have seen it about 10 or 15 times or so, but each time still brings tears to my eyes. Before you write this anime off completely, borrow the OAV, trust me.

My biggest problem with Kenshin (besides the slightly silly "Tokyo Chapter" that begins the series) is that the end of the series portrayed in the Manga (Japanese comic book) is not produced in the Anime series. For those of you who have not read the Manga, the last part of the story (called the "Revenge Saga") deals with Enishi, the brother of Kenshin's Ill-Fated love, Tomoe. Yahiko also returns in this chapter, as an adult Hitokiri.

All of the episodes of Kenshin (the anime) after the Shishio Saga are rather pointless, in the grand scheme of things, and fail to bring closure to the truly epic and heart-rending saga.

Although the Anime had many brilliant points in it, it suffered heavily from "episode bloat".