Note: If you are going to read this, please read all of it. Only reading part of it will only lead to a misunderstanding about what I want to say.

I believe that the moral rules that most religions have are just based on common sense. Almost all religions have the same moral rules, and that fact leads me to this conclusion. The morality codes that are used in most world religions are based on the consequences of certain actions. I believe that people who are not religious have incentives to be moral because of these consequences. The myth that non-religious people, agnostics, pagans, or athiests are not moral is just that, a myth. Actions have consequences and are not totally based on the fear of punishment by a god or gods. I compare moralily to common sense because the same rationale applies. Allow me to provide some examples.

Most moral rules in religion are based on the statement "do unto others as you would have them do unto you.." or something along those lines. That is just common sense. If someone hits you in the head, the first thing you will want to do is inflict an equal amount of harm upon them. Whether you actually do this or fear takes over is not my point. My point is that 90% of other religious rules are all based on this one, which is not in fact tied specifically into one religion. The statement "do unto others..." is based on the consequences that you will face from your peers, not nessessarily from a god. I believe that Thou shalt not kill and Thou shalt not steal are also based on this rule.

The rule "thou shalt not commit adultery" even is common sense, even if it is more for biological and economic reasons. I am simply applying this using the rationale that the person could get pregnant or impregnate someone else. If you mate with someone you are not exclusively with, you can get diseases, spread diseases, or end up with mouths to that you cannot afford to feed. There are also many other factors, like age affecting the dangers of giving birth if the person is young (or old). Even besides that, I believe that humans are inherently territorial, jealousy and insecurity are bound to ensue. Sex as a sign of affection rather than caving in to carnal desire seems to be more healthy psychologically and sociologically, from what I've experienced and seen in others' cases.

My point is not that a religion is wrong for promoting these values. I am just saying that the rules are not uniquely theirs to claim. My point is that it is illogical for people of different religions to disrespect each other because they, in fact, believe alot of the same things. The only things that are different are the names of the omnipotent powers they are worshipping and the circumstances under which that power exists. Non-religious people, athiests, and agnostics, are capable of being just as moral as people who have a religion.

I understand that some religions require its followers to preach the word of its god, or to try and convert people to worship its god. For those who feel obligated to do that, keep in mind that it is more important to spread the peaceful teachings of that god, and remember that a god may have different names, or no name at all. Before trying to convert someone, see if they believe alot of the same things you do to begin with. People may not believe in god, or are unsure. This does not mean they are evil, it just means that they don't have the same belief system as you. There are Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Hindus that are bad people, just as there are many that are great people. The same holds true for Athiests, Agnostics, and people with no affiliation. People hurt each other in the name of religion... and basically because their god has a different name and face than another one.

I have no religious affiliation, and I respect all people people as long as they don't take advantage of me or anyone else. That is my basis for assessing whether someone is a good person. Their motives don't matter. It doesn't matter if they are a good people because they fear a god or do it in the name of a god, or do it because they feel like it, the actions are still the same.