Pressure stockings (hosiery) worn by both men and women for a variety of health and medical reasons. Sometimes referred to as "surgical stockings."

Jobst stockings use a technique called "gradient compression" that applies pressure to the leg such that it is tightest at the ankle. The amount of compression provided by the stocking gradually decreases up the leg, encouraging blood to stay in the upper extremities (rather than pooling in the legs).

Used as a remedy for several medical conditions, Jobst stockings are prescribed by doctors for such problems as edema (swelling) of the ankles and calf, varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency, deep vein thrombosis, venous ulcers, lymphedema, and dysautonomia/orthostatic hypotension. As they provide "support" to the venous structure of the legs, Jobst stockings are also sometimes used by individuals who simply suffer from tired, achy legs (such as people who have to stand while working all day).

Jobst offers a variety of stocking options for men and women, varied in color and type. Many Jobst products are available in knee-high or thigh-high versions. The compression hosiery is tailored such that the casual observer would easily mistake Jobst stockings for normal panty hose on women, or formal business socks on men. This allows sufferers of the abovementioned maladies a modicum of privacy, since it doesn't actually appear that they're wearing pressure stockings.


Sources:
1. http://www.jobst.net/
2. http://www.jobst.net/who_wears.html
3. http://www.jobst.net/products.html