ideals occur in several algebraic structures. They play a similar rôle to normal subgroups in groups in that they allow the concept of quotient structures, isomorphism theorems etc.

A right ideal I of a ring R is a nonempty subset of R such that

  • a+b in I for a,b in I
  • I is closed under right multiplication. i.e. for each a in I and r in R we have ar in I.

A left ideal is defined similarly, except that it has to be closed under left multiplication.

A two-sided ideal (or just ideal) is a right and left ideal of a ring.

For commutative rings there is no difference between the concepts of right,left and two-sided ideals.

Examples of ideals

  • If R is any ring then R is itself an ideal of R. So is {0}.
  • If a is an element of R then
    aR = {ar: r in R}
    is a right ideal of R. More generally if a1,...,an are finitely many elements of R then
    a1R +...+ anR = {a1r1+...+anrn: each ri in R}
    is a right ideal of R.
  • Let Z be the ring of integers. Then nZ (i.e. all integer mutiples of n) is an ideal.
  • Let x,y be complex numbers then the set of all 2x2 complex matrices of the form
     --   --
    | xa xb |
    | yc yd |
     --   --
    
    with a,b,c,d complex numbers, form a right ideal of the ring of complex 2x2 matrices.

If I and J are right ideals then so is I+J which consists of all sums i+j with i in I and j in J. If I and J are ideals then so is IJ which consists of all finite sums i1j1+...+ikjk, with ir in I and js in J. If S is a subset of R the right ideal it generates is denoted by SR and consists of all finite sums i1j1+...+ikjk, with ir in S and js in R. Note that SR is a right ideal of R. Finally, if Ij is a family of right ideals then the sum of this family consists of all finite sums ij1 +...+ ij1 with ijk in Ijk. The sum is again a right ideal. If a is an element of R then the ideal it generates RaR consists of all finite sums r1as1 + ... + rtast with ri and si in R. This is an ideal. If S is a subset of R then the ideal of R it generates is the sum of the ideals RaR, with a in S. We sometimes write (a1,...,an) for the ideal generated by {a1,...,an}.