born: November 5th, 1952 - San Diego, California - (William Theodore Walton, III)

height: 6 feet 11 inches


Bill Walton is a massivly talented and famous basketball player, broadcaster and deadhead. He fist became famous for his playing center for John Wooden's UCLA Varsity team for three seasons (1972-1974). He was a member of two NCAA championship teams and helped create the NCAA record for longest winning streak (88 consecutive games).

Walton is a three-time NCAA Player of the Year in 1972, '73 and '74 as well as a 3 time All-American College Player. He graduated with honors with a B.A. in history.

Walton's NBA career began when he was the number one over all pick in the 1974 NBA Draft by the Portland Trailblazers. He helped lead them to the championship in 1977. Nine years later he earned another championship title, this time with the Boston Celtics in 1986. He played with the Trailblazers 1974-1979, the San Diego Clippers 1979-1984, the relocated Los Angeles Clippers in 1985, and The Boston Celtics 1985-1988.

Bill Walton was the NBA's MVP in 1978. He was elected to the NBA All-Star Team in 77 and 78; and won many other awards. Walton is also the first of only two players in the history of the NBA to lead the league in both blocked shots and rebounding in the same season. (and they say white men can't jump).

He retired from the game after the '88 season because foot surgery ended his ability to play competitively. He started his broadcasting career in 1990 as an analyst for the Prime Ticket Network. Walton would move on to work for CBS Sports in the early 90's during the NCAA Final Four and then for NBC for many years, including work on the 1996 Atlanta and 2000 Sydney Summer Olympic Games. Currently he is working for NBC, CBS, Fox, MSNBC, Turner Sports, KCAL, and the NBA.

The fact that he is a broadcaster is made all the more interesting by the fact that Walton is a stutterer - that is he stutters. Through disicpline and practice he has overcome the problem.

In 1993, Walton was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts. Walton has been nominated for several Emmy awards and in 2001 won an Emmy for best live sports television broadcast. In 1997 Walton was selected as one of the NBA's fifty best players of all time (well all time up untill 1997).

In 1979 Walton received an Emmy for his work on an environmental documentary filmed on location in the Philippines. He has also had roles in feature films such as: He's Got Game, Forget Paris, Celtic Pride and Ghostbusters.

In June 21, 2001, Bill was named as the inaugural inductee into the Grateful Dead Hall of Honor. a longstanding deadhead Walton serves on the board of the Rex Foundation, the non-profit charitable organization founded by members of the Grateful Dead and their friends.

Walton lives in San Diego with his second wife Lori and their four sons; Adam 26, Nathan 23, Luke 21, and Christopher 20.