Here's the News for the day as of 12:13pm Central European Time:
________________________________________________________________________________

International Herald Tribune (www.iht.com)

Rioting Erupts in Nepal Over Palace Massacre
This Himalayan nation got its third king in three days Monday after the death early in the morning of former Crown Prince Dipendra, 29, who held the throne briefly over the weekend while in a coma after reportedly killing most of the royal family and then shooting himself.

Oil Prices Rise as Iraq Halts Bulk of Exports
Iraq suspended nearly all oil exports Monday and insisted it would not resume supplying more than 2 million barrels a day to the world market until the United Nations abandoned a new plan to shore up sanctions against Saddam Hussein's regime.

NEWS ANALYSIS Fabric of Blair Legend Has Frayed
Gallup, the polling organization, found 61 percent of a sampling agreeing with its neat proposition that "Labour isn't up to much, but the Tories don't offer a real alternative."

U.S. Air Traffic Control: Finally, the Overhaul
The Federal Aviation Administration plans to outline a 10-year air traffic control modernization plan Tuesday to squeeze 30 percent more traffic into the commercial aviation system while easing delays and increasing safety by giving pilots better information on weather problems and the location of other aircraft.

It's Our Man vs. One Mean Machine
Across from me sits the most intimidating chess player in the world, perhaps the greatest chess master ever. My adversary is "Deep Fritz," and it is a computer.

As Pentagon Cuts Most China Ties, Some Experts Call It a Mistake
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has cut off virtually all the Pentagon's contacts with the Chinese armed forces in a move that is prompting concern among China experts within the U.S. military establishment.
________________________________________________________________________________

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk)

Nepal moves to quell violence
A 12-hour curfew is reimposed in the Nepalese capital, a day after violent protests followed the coronation of the new king.

Parties target key seats
Battleground seats come to the fore as the UK's election campaign heads for its climax.

Hooligans banned from Greece match
Hundreds of football hooligans are banned from travelling to England's ]World Cup] clash in Athens under new regulations.

Palestinian militants join ceasefire
The Palestinian militant group Hamas joins Fatah in annoucing a conditional ceasefire in an apparent response to a call by Yasser Arafat.

Opec moves to prevent oil crisis
Opec oil ministers gather in Vienna to consider world fuel prices in the wake of Iraq's decision to suspend exports.
________________________________________________________________________________

The New York Times (www.nytimes.com)

Justices Void Death Sentence For a Retarded Texas Man
The Supreme Court ruled 6 to 3 that jurors in Johnny Paul Penry's case received flawed instructions about how they should consider his retardation.

Natural Gas Prices Remain High in Southern California
To many experts, the woes of California's natural gas market are as profound as those of its electricity market.

Arizonans Urge McCain to Stick With His Own
Republican voters and party leaders in Arizona say Senator John McCain is becoming increasingly isolated from his party.

Quest for AIDS Vaccine Rises From Ashes of Dashed Hopes
While there is still no AIDS vaccine and none is even close, research continues into a preventative that will at least provide some protection against H.I.V.

Britain's Blair: Not Lovable, but Electable
The Labor Party supporters were waiting excitedly for Prime Minister Tony Blair. But the tall man with the pasted-on smile and creepily earnest manner who bounded into view this morning was not the prime minister, but rather Rory Bremner, a television mimic who has made a career of lampooning Mr. Blair as an image-obsessed master of heartfelt political banalities.
________________________________________________________________________________

Panapress (www.panapress.com/english)

King Mohammed VI pardons 780 prisoners
Rabat, Morocco - King Mohammed VI of Morocco has pardoned 780 prisoners on the eve of the celebration of the Aid Al Mawlid, commemorating the anniversary of the birth of Prophet Mohammed, the Justice Ministry announced Monday.

70 million dollars to help fight Meningitis in Africa
Nairobi, Kenya - Bill and Melinda Foundation, an international Non-Governmental Organisation, has announced a 70 million-US-dollar grant to help eliminate meningitis in sub-Saharan Africa.

Rebel Movement begins disengaging forces
Lusaka, Zambia - The chairman of the Joint Military Commission (JMC) on DR Congo, Brig.-Gen. Njuki Mwaniki confirmed Monday that the rebel Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC) has started disengaging its troops some 15-km from the war zone.

Some 17-murder suspects released, two still held
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - After releasing 17 suspects Monday, the state is still holding two senior leaders of the opposition Civic United Front party (CUF) who are accused of killing a policeman named Haji Muslim Simai during riots which took place in Zanzibar in January.

Police raid Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's home
Johannesburg, South Africa - Police swooped on Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's Soweto home at the weekend in search of documents related to bank fraud.
________________________________________________________________________________

China Daily (http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/news/index.html)

AOL to set up US$200m joint venture in China
America Online Inc will unveil a US$200 million joint venture in China with top Chinese computer maker Legend Holdings next week, the Asian Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

Shanghai: Ministers meet, WTO accession talks to continue
A vital meeting between top trade officials from Beijing and Washington ended without clear-cut breakthroughs on Tuesday in Shanghai, but the two sides agreed talks on China's accession to WTO would continue through the week.

FM confirms military exercises opposite Taiwan
Chinese Foreign ministry spokesman Sun Yuxi confirmed on Tuesday that its military forces were conducting drills on an island opposite Taiwan, but said they were routine and had no wider meaning.

Fighting TB: Government steps up
The Chinese Government and the World Health Organization (WHO) are to step up efforts to curb tuberculosis (TB) in China, where millions of people are being infected by the disease every year, officials said.

Nation fosters green farming
China has achieved remarkable success in environmentally friendly farming since the early 1980s when it began developing green agriculture, said ]Zhang Baowen], vice-minister of agriculture. ________________________________________________________________________________

Moscow Times (www.themoscowtimes.com)

India Set To Buy $10Bln In Arms
India and Russia announced they have made large defense deals that include the development of a new jet.

Plans Afoot to Make Center Tourist-Friendly
The Moscow city government has developed a project to create a large pedestrian zone in the city center.

TV6 Undergoes a Major Facelift
Many former NTV staff including Svetlana Sorokina and Yevgeny Kiselyov have moved to Boris Berezovsky's TV6 ...

'Too Little, Too Late' But Berlin Will Pay
Thousands of former Soviet citizens forced into servitude in World War II may be eligible for payouts.

Traffic Accident Scams Prey On the Uninsured
Carefully engineered road accidents where the victim is made to look like the guilty party, are a well-practiced scam that are rearing their ugly head in Moscow.
________________________________________________________________________________
On this day:
On June 5, 1968, Senator Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated after claiming victory in California's Democratic presidential primary.
_______________________________________________________________________________


A Very Merry Birthday to
eclip5e