Homeostasis means "The maintenance of a constant internal environment". It's all about a living creature keeping their inside as constant and stable as possible, whatever may be happening on the outside.

There are six main bodily levels that need to be controlled. CO2 and Urea need to be disposed of, and Ion content, water content, sugar content (of the blood), as well as temperature all need to be kept at a constant level.

CO2

CO2 is breathed out through the lungs. Co2 levels are monitored by the hypothalmus.

Urea

Urea is a substance produced in the liver as a by-product of the process which breaks down amino acids. Urea is filtered out by the kidneys and also lost partly in sweat. Urea is a poison.

Ion content

Ions are taken into the body in food, then absorbed into the bloodstream. They are filtered out by the kidneys and also lost partly in sweat (which is why sweat tastes salty).

Temperature

Blood temperature is monitored by the hypothalmus, which then sends nerve impulses to the skin. If we're too hot then the hairs lie flat, sweat is produced and vasodilation occurs. Vasodilation is the opening up of the blood supply to the skin to remove heat, and it's why we go red when we're hot.

If we're too cold, our hairs stand up and vasoconstriction occurs. This is when the blood supply to the skin is closed off to try and keep heat in. The body also increases liver activity and makes us shiver when we're cold, all to the end of producing more heat.

Water

Water levels in the blood are monitored by the hypothalmus, which sends nerve impulses to the pituitary gland, which produces ADH (Anti-Diuretic Hormone). This instructs the kidneys as to what levels of water should be filtered from the blood.

Sugar content

The liver and pancreas work to control sugar levels in the blood. The pancrease produces insulin, which makes the liver turn glucose into glycogen.