A character in SNK's long-running King of Fighters series, introduced in KOF '95. Once one of the main characters, with the release of KOF '99 he has been relegated somewhat to the status of "being there to keep the fans happy". He has also appeared in the crossover games, namely SNK vs. Capcom, and Capcom vs. SNK.

Since he introduction into the series, he has been part of several teams, as well as being an "edit character". It has been said, however, that no team of his was ever as good as that of KOF '95, where he made his debut alongside Fatal Fury regular Billy Kane, and Eiji Kisagari of Art of Fighting. Since then, his KOF '96 team (featuring himself, Mature, and Vice) has become the most common, appearing later in KOF '98 and KOF 2000. He has also appeared in a different form, as Orochi Iori in KOF '97.

In each incarnation of The King Of Fighters, Iori has the same basic appearance and moveset, having barely changed since his first outing. He also typically has the same background music on his stage, entitled "Arashi no Saxophone".

Another aspect which has yet to change is what has been considered one of the greatest videogame rivalries ever: Iori Yagami and Kyo Kusanagi. It has continued to evolve since 1995 to the present, with the pair exchanging threats whenever they should meet in the games.