Brand name of venlafaxine

Indications

Effexor is an SSRI that is used as a treatment for depression and general and social anxiety disorders.
Dosage for adults
Usually administered in 37.5, 75, and 150mg doses, with 75mg being the standard starting dose
Dosage for children
Effexor is not approved for use on children
How supplied
This drug is administered in capsule form
Contraindications
Effexor is not to be taken while pregnant or breast feeding
Precautions
Effexor may cause complications with people who have had suicidal thoughts, high blood pressure, heart disease, liver or kidney problems, glaucoma, seizures, symptoms of mania or hypomania, or thyroid problems
Adverse Reactions
Effexor has been shown to cause the following side effects: nausea, dizziness, sleepiness, abnormal ejaculation, sweating, dry mouth, gas, abnormal vision, nervousness, insomnia, anorexia, constipation, confusion/agitation, tremors, yawning, and palpitations
Date of most recent Update
Feb 24, 2004

Now, I'd like to give my own account of just what happens when one takes effexor. I had been feeling depressed for a long, long time. Unfortunately, my parents didn't believe me. Eventually, they got the hint and allowed me to see a psychiatrist. He perscribed me effexor. After a few days, I convinced myself that I was feeling better. I really wanted to ba happy. Then, on the fourth day of taking the drug, I started to experience some rather severe side effects. I wanted to eat, but I simply couldn't. The idea of eating food was just so repellent. I also spiraled into what was probably the deepest depression I had ever been in. Every day was an endless parade of thoughts about suicide. I saw nothing left to live for. I threw away my pocket knife because I had made a solemn oath to a friend a few months back that I wouldn't take my own life, and I didn't want to break that. After a week or so of this, when I met with the psychiatrist again, he took me off of effexor and perscribed me remeron. A few days later, the side effects began to ebb. Then the remeron kicked in, and it was like I was seeing the world through new eyes. It was nice to be on an antidepressant that worked.

To anyone who is going to begin taking effexor, I leave you with this word of caution: if you start feeling any suicidal tendencies at all, call your health care provider IMMEDIATELY. Apparently, effexor makes suicidal people worse, and it can actually cause suicidal tendencies in others. I had never had a problem with these thoughts before effexor, and a promise that a friend had extracted from me was the only thing that saved my life while I was on this drug. If it works for you, that's awesome. More power to you. Happiness is a wonderful thing. Exercise extreme caution when taking ANY mind-altering drug.