With the utmost respect to all of you, I must disagree with your views on Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby.

After a careful analysis of the novel, I have discovered that it is really about the pursuit of happiness and an empty and hollow American Dream. The novels symbols help to develop this idea in may ways.

For instance, the Green light at the end of Daisy's dock is one symbol of the unattainable American Dream. Nick observes Gatsby one night with his arms outstretched to the light in the distance, a strong symbol of how unattainable Daisy truly is.

When one takes into context how imporant Daisy is, the idea of an unattainable American Dream begins to become clear. Owl Eyes makes a comment regarding Gatsby's library and how if one book were to be removed, the entire library could colapse. Comparatively, if Gatsby cannot obtain the affection he desires from Daisy, his dream (a dream of self-made success, happiness, wealth and Daisy) will be crushed.

The idea that this dream will ultimately fail and be destroyed is symbolized as Gatsby walks away from Nick when he informs him that he cannot repeat the past. The ground Gatsby walks on is covered in "fruit rinds and discarded favors and crushed flowers," foreshadowing his demise.