By the ideas of modern psychology there are four main things that cause attraction between two people. These four things are more strongly associated with friendship and early stages of more intimate relationships.

  1. Physical Attractiveness

  2. "Beauty is only skin deep." Well, it seems that initially it is more than that. Many studies have led to the idea that physical attractiveness draws people to one another. Although most psychologists agree that physical appearance affects the level of attraction between two people, they are in disagreement with deciding why this is such. Some suggest that people are attracted to a "better-looking" person because being associated with "beautiful" people enhances our social standing and self-esteem. Others suggest that men are attracted to women for biological reasons. That is, men seek women who are physically attractive because those physical qualities seem to be associated with youth and fertility. Regardless of the justifications, it is apparent that physical attractiveness plays a significant role in attraction between people.

  3. Proximity

  4. The closer two people live to each other the more likely it is for them to like one another. Research has shown that the best single predictor of whether two people are friends is how far apart they live. This idea leads into the next one.

  5. Familiarity

  6. One of the major reasons proximity creates liking is that it increases familiarity. Generally speaking, the more a person interacts with another person, the more attraction builds between them.

  7. Similarity

  8. This idea does not say that soccer players will marry soccer players. Instead, it makes claims that those interested in sports are attracted to those interested in sports. Statistics show that people who pair off do so according to similarities in race, age, religion, education, physical characteristics, and other general characteristics.