On the eve of the release of Britney's second album "Oops, I Did It Again", I feel the need to comment on Britney Spears from a strictly musical perspective (yeah, I know, no fun).

"...Baby One More Time" is a decent pop album. While I have less respect for musicians who don't play instruments or write their own songs, Britney can sing (assuming she isn't pulling a Milli Vanilli), and sing well. She doesn't have the vocal range of, say, Christina Aguilera, but I think the songwriting on the album (which she doesn't do herself) is stronger than that on Aguilera's.

Spears' album is what it is... pop bubblegum akin to Aqua, Tiffany, or Little Tony DeFranco and the DeFranco Family. It's highly infectious and highly addictive, because it doesn't require the listener to put any thought into it. One will never lose sleep pondering the hidden meanings of a Britney Spears song, and she's certainly not going to be mistaken for Joy Division.


Addendum (05.16.2000) - Well, I stand by what I said before, but the Gods of rock are surely going to smite Britney Spears... her new album has a cover the "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones.

Dear God, make it stop.


Also an alcoholic beverage (see: Mix drinks you come up with when you're drunk)

  • A two-liter bottle of Sprite
  • A whole bunch of Countrytime Lemonade Mix
  • A shitload of vodka
Mix everything together. Blend somewhat well. Drink. The drink gets its name because it's "pink, sweet, and tastes good, but if you have too much of it, you'll probably throw up."