It is the late spring of 199X. In a small room on the second floor of a college dormitory proximate to Hollywood and boasting of a picturesque ivy-covered exterior featured in the movie Real Genius and the opening credits of The Facts of Life, four students shall soon conduct an experiment in mixology. Each of them have returned from spring break with some sort of treasure: a bottle of cabernet sauvignon grape juice, a bottle of Stolichnaya Gold Vodka, a pair of shot glasses emblazoned Yellowstone National Park, and a Fender Stratocaster.

tchetcherine sits on his bed, tunelessly noodling on his guitar, until the others are full of anticipation. Is it time? he asks knowingly.

He rises, placing an argyle sock over the tuning pins of the guitar to protect his face from the ends of the strings while he sleeps, and walks to the little fridge. The shot glasses, the grape juice, the vodka are taken from the freezer, and set upon his desk. He turns the vodka bottle several times, explaining I've heard that it is important to make sure that the vodka hasn't separated from the cold. Into the frosted shot glass, he pours an ounce of vodka. Then he carefully pours a thin stream of grape juice down the side of the glass, maybe a half ounce. It pools in the bottom of the glass like some kind of gem.

Ladies first, he offers it to circe. She wrinkles her nose at the alcohol, but is game enough to sip at it. He turns back to the desk to pour another.

The second goes to KJOH. He tastes it, then drinks off the vodka, and finishes the rest. It's its own chaser, he observes.

tchitcherine and I share the second round. Both of us drink it "in two". It is amazing. The vodka on top is tinted with the flavor of the cabernet grape juice. The grape juice itself carries a hint of alcohol but chases the vodka with its sweet thick taste.

An Ouroboros Original
Everything Bartender
purple drinks
vodka drinks
shots

substantially revised May 26, 2003