Eight ball is a pool game played with the cue ball and 15 object balls. It is the most common game played socially, even if you don't know it by its name, it's likely what you think of when you think of playing pool. Each player must pocket 7 balls, then pocket the black number eight ball to win the game.

The game begins with the object balls racked in a triangle with the black number eight ball in the center, placed on the table so that the foremost ball is on the foot spot. Players may lag for the right to break.

After the break, no matter how many balls may have been pocketed, the choice of groups (solid or stripe) is not yet determined. This choice is made with the next shot. A player may continue to shoot as long as the shots result in pocketed object balls. After a player has pocketed all of his/her group of object balls, he/she shoots to pocket the eight ball. The decision as to whether or not the game is to employ called shots may be left to the players, however a shot on the eight ball itself is generally a called shot.

Certain fouls result in the loss of the game, the important ones are:

  • Jumping the eight ball off the table.
  • Pocketing the eight ball in a pocket other than the one called.
  • Pocketing the eight ball prior to having pocketed the other object balls.

Want more information? Please see billiards.