sensei gives a truly daunting recipie for mochi. This one is a little less involved, until you try to pull the mochi off of the aluminum foil.
But it’s just like what Auntie Yvonne used to make . . .

How to make sweet mochi

Sift together the rice flour and sugar. Mix in coconut milk and water, beat until mostly smooth. Line (bottom and sides) an 11x13 cake pan with aluminum foil and oil it. Pour the thick mixture in to the oiled cake pan. Cover the pan tightly with another piece of oiled foil. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool 1-2 hours before attempting to pry the ensuing mass from the foil. Cut into small pieces and dust with cornstarch to keep from sticking.

If you and your shiftless friends like your mochi in funny colors, you can add a few drops of food coloring in the initial mixing.
You can also put about 3 tablespoons of matcha, the powdered green tea leaves, you will get a nicely flavored mochi in a pretty emerald color.
If you would like to try and make daifuku, take your aduki beans and attempt to make little cakes of the mochi, with a bit of red bean paste inside. Perhaps a highly oiled cupcake pan would work? Or just mix some red bean paste into the initial mixing for a nice pink color.