Happy Canada Day!


So I attended a party last night. More specifically, an engagement party for my friend Kevin and his fiancée Kim.

This was a lavish affair.

I suppose that it would be an understatement to say that Kim's parents have some money. When my mother saw the invitation, she mentioned that the place had some really nice, expensive houses. One of the richer areas of the city.

I got there and pulled up to the nicest house on the block, and was greeted by Kevin and Kim at the door.

It's a really nice place that Kim's parents have there, although not quite my style. I like houses to be liveable, and the entire main floor doesn't seem that way. Instead you've got collections of artwork and vases (Apparently her father's obsessed with collecting vases), with some really fancy looking and not too comfortable furniture.

Fortunately the basement is a lot more comfy.

But of course, I only knew 5 people there, two of which were the bride and groom to be, so I had to flex my talking to random strangers muscles a bit, which is always fun for someone as introverted as myself.

A quartet of musicians set up at the top of the stairs, a bunch of servers offering people wine, bellinis, crantinis, and various hors d'oeuvres imported from Montreal (Apparently you can't get good Kosher stuff in Calgary). It was the most posh event I had ever been to. I had a good time, and it was good to see Kevin again, since he'd been living in Los Angeles for the past two years, and they're moving to New York next year, which is even more out of the way.

Thankfully it started dying down about 11 PM, and I was able to spend an hour or so just catching up with him.

And, if you're curious, the wedding will be held exactly a year after the engagement party.


And on a side note, my friend Allisha arrives back from Europe today. I really should ask her out.

And as an update, I did, and she said no.