Hey, have you heard about that new Thor movie coming out? No, not Marvel's Thor: Love and Thunder. I'm talking about this new one from movie studio The Asylum, the movie industry equivalent of a chop shop, which essentially makes cheap ripoff films similar enough to mass-market blockbusters to pull in a bunch of accidental revenue (it's other big offerings this season are a fighter jet-heavy Top Gunner: Danger Zone and a dinosaurs-run-amuck number titled Jurassic Domination). Not that they are entirely bereft of wholly original subject matter, as they are, as well, the minds behind the ridiculously succesful (for what it is) Sharknado series.

So the thing is, Thor is a thousand-year-old Norse mythology mainstay, meaning the myth itself isn't owned by anybody, no matter how many movies Marvel puts out. Thor: God of Thunder has all the classic unowned elements -- a mischief-making Loki (in this film correctly made Thor's uncle, not brother), a barrel-chested hammer-wielding red-bearded Thor (a more myth-accurate element as well), a one-eyed Odin, and a gigantic Fenris Wolf looking to devour Yggdrasil, the World Tree. Thor is acted here by Myrom Kingery, whom you likely haven't heard of, as he has typically appeared in films to date in roles like "guy seen in background in the gym," but what little dialogue he has in the trailer (it's mostly eaten up by the Loki and Odin characters) is certainly passable.

The film is predictably split between its version of Asgard and modern-day Earth, where Loki has come to do some sort of mischief which will involve the wolf eating the tree, and Thor finds some modern locals to help him. And the other thing is, after twenty years of churning out fare like Transmorphers and Ghosthunters and Atlantic Rim, they've actually developed enough resources to make a film that looks like a genuine big budget big-studio film. Who knows, it might even be.... good!!