"Chimerica" compactly encapsulates the symbiotic relationship between the two greatest world powers at the dawn of the 21st Century -- China and America (as in, the United States of). The word is fortuitously similar to chimera, a mythic creature formed from the melding together of parts from other creatures: part lion, part snake, and part goat. But this chimera may be instead part eagle and part dragon (or maybe also still part lion, since lions are also a theme used in Chinese culture).

The term traces to another pairing, that of historian Niall Ferguson and economist Moritz Schularick, who together argue that China is in the driver's seat in this interdependent situation, as it would not be as badly harmed by disengagement as the US would. In more recent days these authors have predicted the dissolution of the relationship due to the economic depression from which the countries are emerging in different and incompatible ways.

Acknowledgment must be paid, as a note, to the 1988 text-based computer strategy game, Hidden Agenda. There, "Chimerica" is presented as an actual mix of chimera and America, denoting a fictitious nation covering parts of Latin America, said to have the "body of El Salvador, neck of Nicaragua, claws of Cuba, head of Haiti."