I am blessed with a few spare minutes for introspection and quiet contemplation. The boys are with their father in the workshop, and the girls are with their sisters in Rachel's house. It is her turn to prepare the Sabbath dinner. I have finished the menu planning and lesson plans for the next week, and soon I shall do my daily devotions.

Today we went into town for supplies. I had hoped to find some good summer clothing for the children, but there was nothing modest yet durable and suitable for the girls. The sweet souls knew not to ask for sleeveless shirts, but I saw them eyeing the nail polish longingly. Tonight their father will remind them of the words of our Lord in 1 Timothy.

We picked up the basics: flour, sugar, canned goods, shotgun shells. These are getting harder to come by, with the recent changes. I fear it will only get worse as events continue along their present course. I also bought a few bolts of plain cotton to make dresses for the girls. All but the two youngest are old enough to learn sewing. Young Sarah is fast becoming a better seamstress than me. With her help during lessons the task will soon be complete. We will not have the luxury of manufactured clothing for much longer...

Hannah's son Jeremiah asked today why he couldn't go to school like the town children. I shall have to speak to my husband about Hannah's teaching of the children - they are obviously running wild. In these uncertain times, we can not relax our vigilance on the souls of our children.