Highly satirical novel by Mikhail Bulgakov the Russian playwright and novelist.

What was Moscow like just after the revolution? This ia an incredible story that touches many universal themes and describes the day to day reality in the same breath. It's a story about power, good and evil, and human weakness.

The amazing characters include:

It combines fable, fantasy, political satire and slapstick comedy into a wild, entertaining and unforgettable story that is considered to be one of the greatest novels to come out of Russia's creative output. The novel was among many Russian banned books for 26 years. Truly one of the most amazing books I have ever read. It would have to be considered part of the Surrealist literature or part of Magic Realism.

Also see his other famous novel, Heart of a Dog.

Falls under the categories of Books that will induce a mindfuck and Books you loan out to expand friends' minds.

And remember Behmouth, trousers don't suit cats!

There is a Film version, done in Italian and available with English subtitles. Currently in print on VHS and DVD.

Related:


Source: Bulgakov, Mikhail, "The Master and Margarita", Grove Press, New York, 1995 Last Updated 03.11.04