The seatbelt-effect.

A person wearing his or her seatbelt every day decreases his or her own chances of being killed in a traffic accident. Chances of being maimed or permanently disabled are also diminished.

A person not wearing his or her seatbelt thus puts society at risk. If an accident happens, and the person is killed, society has lost a member, a productive individual with a role to fill, as a factory worker or entertainer or whatever. If the person is disabled, he or she will become a liability (allthough the cost of maintaining a disabled person is still lower than the potential loss of value if the person had died. Let Stephen Hawkin be an example) to society.

That society chooses to make not wearing seatbelt a hazard to individuals economy is a decision based on the principle of preserving assets. A person is more likely to defend oneself from an immediate loss of money, than from a potential lethal hazard. Why? People are greedy and selfabsorbed. Noone belives they can be hurt in traffic, but everyone thinks they can be fined by the cops.

Your freedom is defended by intrusive laws. If there were no laws, numbnuts with no conception of right and wrong would subject themselves and others to damage that would cost society dearly to repair. The effect would be no mass transit. No public schools. No defence. Anarchy would reign.

One man alone is free only to suffer solitude.