Lady Margaret (referred to as 'Maggie' around here) is one of the biggest and (arguably) the best boat clubs on the River Cam. Up to 250 members of St John's College, Cambridge row in L.M.B.C. boats every term and compete in the Cambridge University Bumping Races - "bumps".

LMBC crews row with red blades and members of the club can be spotted around Cambridge by their proud display of red kit (usually in lectures after an early morning outing).

The club was founded in 1825 by a number of illustrious Johnians who managed to procure an eight-oared boat from either Oxford or London. The River Cam was then used primarily by barges bringing coal, etc. to the Colleges. The early boats were for pleasure-trip use, but impromptu races with passing boats were regular and soon, University organised races were set up. (Their form, on a narrow river like the River Cam is very interesting, see "bumps").

Many L.M.B.C. oarsmen were influential in the evolution of rowing, including JHD Goldie, LHK Bushe-Fox and Roy Meldrum (who detailed the Lady Margaret style in his textbooks).

The club rules stipulate "that the uniform of the Club be a scarlet flannel coat, red and white striped jersey, grey chequered trousers and scarlet cap.". Members were obviously highly recognizable in these bright red jackets and they gave rise to the name "blazer" in the English Language!

The Club's heyday was in the late 1940s and 1950s. LMBC won the Ladie's Plate at Henley in 1949. In 1950 they made 4 bumps to go Head of the Mays and stayed Head for five years, In 1951 Lady Margaret won the Grand at Henley and had five members of the successful Cambridge crew which also defeated Harvard and Yale in the US.

Nowadays, the uniform isn't worn often (but we still wear the blazers!) and the rowing isn't of quite as high a standard, but Lady Margaret are always in the top few positions in bumps and at all levels, we enjoy rowing in a Club with great facilities and great tradition.