Dandelion

(Taraxacum officinale)

Perhaps the most well-known edible plant, the Dandelion gets its name from the likeness of the leaves to a lion’s tooth.

The tender young leaves that spring up in the spring are one of the first wild edibles to appear in Mother Nature’s pantry. The young leaves are excellent in a salad or eaten raw. Later in the season they take on a bitter taste and its preferable to cook them in two lots of water. Changing the water takes away all the bitterness and makes them less tough.

Dandelions are common fare for many people and are well known for their high content of vitamin A. These plants contains twenty-five more vitamin than tomato juice and fifty times more than asparagus

In the Bush

As a Fresh Vegetable: The young dandelion leaves offer a delicate taste to any salad.

As Cooked Vegetable: Later in the season, the leaves can be picked and cooked as described above. Then make an excellent addition to any stew.

As Tea: For a strong tea, simmer the leaves for about ten minutes. The resulting brew is good for colds.

As Coffee: The roots of the plant may be dried at the fireside. When they are shriveled, break them in pieces, grind between two stones, and use as ordinary coffee. One level teaspoon per cup is fine.

Home Recipes

Back to The Edible Wild