Dandelion Leaves with Toasted Sesame Seeds

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh young dandelion leaves
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce

Clean and wash the dandelion leaves carefully under cold running water.

In a 3-quart saucepan bring three cups of water to boil and add salt. Put the dandelion leaves in the boiling water, cover tightly and cook for five minutes over high heat until the leaves start to wilt.

Drain the leaves and put them in cold water to stop their cooking. Squeeze the leaves as dry as possible, then cut into 1-inch pieces and dry with a paper towel. Set aside.

In a heavy skillet that has been preheated, toast the sesame seeds over moderate for 5 to 6 minutes. Shake the pan constantly until the seeds are lightly toasted (Note: or you could simply buy some already toasted sesame seeds at the market).

In a small bowl mix the chicken stock, sugar, dry mustard, and soy sauce. Stir well. Put a small saucepan on moderate heat, add the chicken stock mixture and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and cool.

Pour the sauce over the dandelion leaves and toss together to coat the leaves thoroughly.

Serve with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Serves six.

Back to Dandelion
Back to The Edible Wild