Many institutions of organized crime were originally established to help the little guy - because the system was against them, they had the right (nay, responsibility!) to work outside the system to make sure that justice was done! (Let us not forget also that what constitutes a crime is determined by those in power - corrupt politicians -and that in many times the simple fact of a person's existence has been a crime depending on their race and location.)

The Underground Railroad was organized crime. Believe it or not, the Mafia began as a means for Italian peasants to protect themselves from the excesses of the Inquisition. The only real problem is that people are weak, and once they get some power they often find themselves liking the experience, wanting to continue enjoying it and occasionally having to, well, execute those who might threaten their comfort, the comfort of their friends, family members or business partners, or suggest that enjoying such comfort at the expense or discomfort of others is unfair or somehow dishonourable.

Though they're technically six of one..., I prefer "civil disobedience" to "organized crime" myself because its dogma at least sounds smarter, less greedy and usually it results in fewer people getting killed (with the exception of periodical police rampages...)