The dentist is pleased - my interminable case of bleeding gums seems to have dropped off the radar. This is as much of a surprise to me (if not more) as to him - secretly I suspect I've merely run out of blood.

...

Sovereignty was nice while it lasted. The SFU professor, guest speaker regarding recent world events, tells us that either Canada permits direct US intervention in our foreign policy (immigration, refugees) to put us in the North America secure zone or manages to finangle an economic arrangement whereby we manage to successfully function on the 15% of our economy that deals with buyers outside the U.S. The big question apparently isn't whether it will happen or not, but rather how many Senators we'll be alloted: two per province or two in total? (Could be worse - could be the same number Puerto Rico got...)

...

On two separate occasions today I got caught watching individuals whose appearances I found interesting. Not considering even for a moment to look away, instead I steadily complemented the observation with a smile, which was in both cases surprisingly returned. What sort of wild bevahior has gotten into me? Next thing you know I'll be talking to girls, and we just know that leads to nothing but ruin.

...

The young man with shaved head and beard not overly-unlike mine stands nobly in stained and tattered fatigues on the concrete traffic meridian, holding up his cardboard sign for passing vehicles with a very serious look on his face.

HOMELESS
AND UNHAPPY
-----------
PLEASE HELP

Surely, thinks I to myself, the circumstances which led this young man to the streets constituted ample enough proof that a roof over his head is by no means grounds for happiness in and of itself - comfort, yes, but people with much more than him manage to be much more unhappy, I'd imagine, by virtue of his bulletless brain. Then again, he did say homeless and not "houseless."

...

At the stoplight, the old dog in the back of the pickup truck grows weary of this means of conveyance and crawls out, stretching his legs on the bumper before hopping down into traffic and heading for a grassy boulevard by the roadside. Despite honks from passersby, the owner drives on, utterly oblivious.

in our last episode... | p_i-logs | and then, all of a sudden...