The Constitution was phenomenally well-written. It has served us for over 200 years, even though it was explicitly designed to be rewritten several times between its inception and now.

I mean, who has a problem with the Constitution? The problems we have are all with people trying to get around the Constitution. Because we haven't rewritten it, like we were supposed to, a lot of those people can now use the excuse that parts of it are outdated. You'll hear this a lot in gun control debates; in fact you can read it right up above me. The truth is, the right to bear arms was written for the express reason that an armed population is harder for a government--ours or somebody else's--to subdue. Think about it; would you invade the U.S.A.? Imagine running around Alabama, trying to dodge buckshot from every enraged hillbilly in the state, .12 gauges pointed at you from every angle....

I agree that our society is becoming way, way too restrictive. It's not a big step, between telling a citizen they can't smoke and telling them they can't leave. Or vote. Or live. I would much prefer it if we just stayed the hell away from that shit. The U.S. was founded on a really good principle: You don't tell me what to do, and I don't tell you what to do. We should stick with that.