I actually have a funny one: There was finally a "government-approved" research study done as to the addictiveness of pot. The headline, of course, read "MARIJUANA PROVED ADDICTIVE"; thankfully, I read more than headlines.

The research involved three groups of people: Group A, who'd never smoked pot; Group B, the occassional users; and Group C, the raving junkies. All three groups were given a doobie a day for a month, then cut off cold turkey and asked to record their symptoms, if any, of withdrawal.

In order to see the humor here you have understand that Jerry Garcia himself might not have qualified for Group C. I don't know where they got these guys, but each of them had to have smoked pot A) an unbroken average of once a day for the last five years, and B) a total of more than 5,000 times--that's one a day for THIRTEEN YEARS. So these guys were mad potheads.

Group C, who'd probably only volunteered to get some free ganja, were the only ones who experienced any withdrawal symptoms at all--and those were "mild to moderate" and completely gone before the 28 days of the experiment were up.

So yeah, "MARIJUANA WAS PROVED ADDICTIVE", just less so than coffee, chocolate, or sex. And as far as that "keep it on the schedule one list" crap goes, you show me an "occassional" coke user who can do it once a day for a month and then have NO withdrawal symptoms at all. Like I said, you couldn't do that with coffee--you'd be twitchin' like mad.

Oh, and in my personal opinion, no, it's not physically addictive. I've done it for long periods of time and dropped it for long periods of time, and the biggest symptom I ever had was thinking, "Man, I'd rather be stoned." So psychologically, yeah, everything is addictive, especially if it's fun. But as to the quote-unquote-scientists who let Uncle Sam purchase that headline...I feel your pain, and I know that if you'd produced a study proving marijuana to be at the very most minimally physically addictive, your work would have just been thrown out. But please quit selling out. You guys are making it very hard to spread any Truth around here.