To pick up where I left off in the last Nietzsche node:

Man is something that is to be surpassed.

In spite of rampant goofiness when it comes to scholars interpreting Nietzsche, he's pretty obvious about what he means most of the time. The above statement refers to what is probably Nietzsche's favorite idea: That of the SUPERMAN.

That's right, a crazy philosopher is responsible for at least inventing the identity for the Man of Steel. But it really wasn't anybody anything like Christopher Reed at all that he was talking about.

No, Nietzsche was talking about The X-Men; in fact, the new X-Men movie is probably one of the better possible modern interpretations of what Nietzsche saw as necessarily our future. He didn't claim to know what the SuperMan could do, or how the change would come about; he only steadfastly insisted that Mankind has got to evolve; there's no choice; there's no static spot on the Great Wheel where you can just rest on your laurels and stop growing up. His lambasting of the State and various restrictive or unnatural institutions stems from his belief that people like that, fatcats in priest's robes or CEO's in marketing meetings, will be the ones to oppose the changes that will bring about the Superman--the next evolutionary step up the human ladder.

I'm sure some people were pretty pissed when we stopped being monkeys, too. Hell, for one thing, monkeys can get as much nookie as they can handle without a moral majority stuffed up their asses. But I digress.

What side would you be on if your children--or mine--suddenly develop telepathy? Or learn to fly? Will you let them be crushed by the current power-structure? Or will you do what you can to pave the way for Nietzsche's X-Men?