June the first, first day of the month. It is therefore incumbent upon us all to say (repeat after me) "rabbit, rabbit".

"Rabbit, rabbit". Yes. There's a story here, though it's not very good.

I was first made aware of this "tradition" when I was in the fifth grade. My clock radio alarm (which must always be set to "music" 'cause that shriekshriek will give me aneurysms) goes off on some first day of some month and I hear the DJ say:
"...rybody, it's the first of the month again. So say 'rabbit, rabbit"! That'll bring you good luck all month!"

Or some shit like that. So, being ten years old and in a whimsical mood, I said it.

"Rabbit, rabbit!" Yes, I felt kinda stupid, but it was fun.

I've been saying it for thirteen years. Every first day of every month.

Now I am not a superstitious person. I do not knock on wood, I do not throw salt over my left shoulder after spilling it, I walk under ladders. But for some reason that appears to be beyond my conscious control, I say "rabbit, rabbit" on the first of every month.

In eighth grade, my Latin teacher brought this up. Apropos of what, I couldn't tell you. But it was the first of some month and we enter class and after the obligatory "salvete, discipuli," "salve, magister" he continues on to "lapis, lapis". And then explains (in English) the custom of saying "rabbit, rabbit" on the first of the month to ensure good luck.

I'm not saying this works. I'm not promising good luck. All I'm saying is...

Rabbit, rabbit.

All together now: