This is not a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Psydereal on the point that people should be less uptight about weight, as well as other features. Throwing out your scale and living for the moment is not a solution, it is a good way to kill yourself faster.

Food recommendations (real, medically tested recommendations, not from tabloids) are there to ensure that you get the proper amounts of all the essential nutrients you need to remain healthy. If your diet consists of nothing but junk, not only will you become obese, but your skin, teeth, breath, fingernails, and hair (and that's just the outside) will start to deteriorate.

Life is short, but eating constantly will only make it shorter. Go look up some data on heart disease and failure related to weight, okay?

The 95% statistic mentioned in the preceding writeup is only relevant to those who practice fad diets, which usually involve starving the body so it consumes the stored fat (while lowering metabolism). This lowered metabolism does not rise when the dieter starts eating normally again, so the fat comes back.

Saying that eating cookies will make no difference is the same as saying that a few grains of sand in a box make no difference to the weight of the box. Add enough sand...

There is little to be done for fat caused by genes, but the inclination towards fat that is passed down through families can be dealt with. This is however, more an issue of exercise than of eating. I know several fat people, (with fat parents, fat aunts and uncles, and fat grandparents) who have lost a fair deal of weight with some simple daily exercise. I also know three thin people, that for various reasons, gained a great deal of weight.

It is not right to stop caring entirely about weight. Weight is a valid medical concern as well as a direct factor on your personality (optimism, energy, confidence, sociability, etc.). While it would be nice to live in a society less uptight about physical features in general, and certainly nice not to have to worry about appearance, there are other (more substantial) reasons for wanting to lose weight.

Get some exercise into your daily routine, it's the only way to lose weight. Use some willpower, and don't worry too much if nothing happens at first.

Keep your fucking scale, but don't starve yourself.

For the record, I know what I'm talking about. Since last December, I have lost 35 pounds with virtually no dietary change, and it's not coming back.