Lord Voldemort is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in the world of Harry Potter. He was the one responsible for killing Harry’s parents many years before Harry learned of his wizardry. After killing James and Lily Potter, he attempted to kill Harry also, but the attempt left him virtually non-existent. All that was seen was a green light, and all that was left was a lightning shaped scar on Harry’s forehead.

It is learned that many years back, Tom Marvolo Riddle also attended Hogwarts. He was given the title of Head Boy because he was ordered to not tell about the chamber of secrets. In turn, he was given this award. He lived with his parents in an old house on top of a hill. One day, his parents were found petrified and dead at the dinner table, and Tom was no where to be found.

Tom actually changed his name to Lord Voldemort by rearranging the letters in his name to say “I am Lord Voldemort.” He hated his name, the name of his father before him. He hated his father for reasons stated in the 4th book. He became the most feared wizard of all of England.

When he attempted the murder of Harry, he was left without a body of his own, and his voice was slowly disappearing. In all of the books, Lord Voldemort attempts to kill Harry over and over again. Voldemort finally is able to get Harry right where he wants him. His flunky, Pettigrew, gives his arm so that Voldemort may once again become the form of a man. Many believed that his followers were still around, but nothing could be proven. When the tall pale man with red eyes and slits for a nose appeared, he called upon his followers. He called upon the death-eaters, with burning tatoos of a skull which tied them all together. Amongst them were Severus Snape and Mr. Malfoy. The Death-eaters had returned to their lord for their moment of judgement, and the witness the final duel between Harry and Voldemort.

The key to the end of the book is that Harry holds the brother wand to Voldemort. The wand from the same phoenix. That bond is something more than life and death. The wand was the key to Voldemort’s first downfall, and will be the key to his second downfall, as well as Harry’s with the avada kedavra curse, the mark of the death-eaters.