Full Metal Jacket

Running time: 116 minutes
Screenplay: Stanley Kubrick, Michael Herr, Gustav Hasford
Director: Stanley Kubrick

Released in 1987, it is considered by many to be the seminal Vietnam War movie. Following the career of Private (later Sergeant) J.T. "Joker" Davis (Matthew Modine) from boot camp to the Tet Offensive and the battle of Hue, this movie is noteworthy for being one of the most realistic depictions of both boot camp (although it is rumoured that Kubrick asked R. Lee Ermey (Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, Senior DI) to tone his language and behaviour down a bit, as he had indeed served as a Marine Drill Instructor in real life) and the Tet Offensive. As well, it is a stirring depiction of the dehumanizing aspect of both military training and combat.

For the first 45 minutes, the movie focuses on Private Joker's experiences in boot camp and the events surrounding him. The bulk of these events center on Private Leonard "Gomer Pyle" Lawrence (Vincent D'Onofrio), an overweight draftee who seems to suffer from slight mental retardation. As a result of the DI's continued failed attempts to turn "Private Pyle" into a Marine, and his last-ditch attempt at disciplining him (punishing the platoon for Private Pyle's mistakes), Private Pyle suffered a mental breakdown following a blanket party. Following his breakdown, Private Pyle became a model soldier, managing to graduate and enter the Marine Corps as a rifleman. However, on the night of the platoon's graduation, Private Pyle lost all touch with reality and underwent a psychotic episode that ended in his death.

At this point, the movie shifts to Saigon, where Sergeant Joker is serving as a field reporter for Stars and Stripes along with Private Rafterman (Kevyn Major Howard) at Da Nang. Following the launching of the Tet Offensive, Joker and Rafterman are sent into the field ("the shit") to cover the Marines' counterattack againt Hue. It is here that Private Joker is reunited with Cowboy (Arliss Howard), a friend from boot camp. Together, they enter the city of Hue, where they encounter the "real war." While on patrol, they are pinned down by a sniper who rapidly reduces the number of people in Cowboy's platoon. With the actions of Joker, the sniper is killed just before the movie ends.

Sources: Full Metal Jacket DVD, www.imdb.com