See also khamsin, mistral, sirocco.

The foehn is an ill wind that brings about negative human behavior. The one foehn that I know in particular is the Santa Ana wind, written about in Joan Didion's essay "Los Angeles Notebook." (much of the following is taken directly from the essay) A foehn is created by a cold mass of air on the leeward slope of a mountain that is warmed as it comes down the mountain and eventually appears as a hot, dry wind. It is proven to cause headaches, nausea, allergies, nervousness, and depression. Indians who felt the Santa Ana used to commit suicide because of the negative feelings that it caused. Also, suicide rates in Switzerland go up whenever a foehn wind blows. In some Swiss cantons the wind is considered a mitigating circumstance for a crime. In LA during a Santa Ana, teachers do not conduct formal classes because the students become unruly. Also, blood does not clot normally during a foehn.

It is caused by a high ratio of positive to negative ions in the air. Physicists debate over whether this is caused by friction or by solar disturbances, but it is known that the ions are there, and that they affect human behavior and physiology.

Also, a magic spell from Star Ocean 2. Castable by Noel and by the final boss, Indalecio (in the Japanese version, Gabriel). It is a fairly powerful spell, and Noel's strongest I think.