The airplane-treadmill problem is a physics thought experiment that has become a minor internet meme.  It goes something like this:

"There is an airplane at rest on a treadmill the size of a runway so that it is big enough for the airplane to take off. However, this is a special treadmill that is designed to move as fast as the airplane's wheels turn but in the opposite direction. So, as the airplane gets up to speed the wheels begin to turn as the airplane moves forward but the treadmill also begins to move just as fast as the wheels. Does the plane take off?"

The first known appearance of the meme was on a Russian forum on April 8, 2003.  Later it was re-posted in english to PhysOrg on July 19, 2005.  From there the question disseminated across the internet until it developed into a meme.

At first glance, the question seems to have an obvious answer: the plane will not move.  Unfortunately, that is the wrong answer and here's why.  For the purposes of simplicity I'm going to ignore the normal and gravitational forces as well as lift because they are perpendicular (and therefore irrelevant) to the range of motion which is important in the solution of this problem.  When driving in a car there are three main forces; the force of friction on the wheels, the air on the car, and the wheels on the road. If we drew a force diagram of this it would look something like this:

                    __________
/ | \ Fac
_____/___| \---------->
Fcr / \
<--------| __ __ |
\_/ \_________/ \_/ Frc
\__/ \__/------------->

The only force giving thrust to the car is Fcr; the force of the car on the road.  So if you put a car on a treadmill like the airplane's, it would not move because Fcr and Frc cancel each other out. Since the force of the air on the car is zero when an object is at rest, there is no net force and therefore no motion.

However, an airplane operates differently.  Instead of pushing against the ground to produce its thrust, an airplane pushes against the air using a propeller or jet engine.  The wheels are present not to provide a means of propulsion but to reduce the friction between the airplane and the ground, increasing net thrust.  Again a force diagram:

                           __
/ | __
/ | / |
Fpa ___________/____|_________/ |
<----------/_| oooooooooooooooooooooooo |---------->
(____________\ |__________/ Fap
\ |
\ |
\__|

As you can see from this diagram, the only way that net force can be zero is if the force of the thrust of the airplane is exactly equal to the air resistance.  Since we know airplanes can fly in the first place, it's clear that this point doesn't happen before airplanes reach their takeoff velocity.  So, simply put, the airplane will take off of the treadmill.

Now some of you may be saying "RedOmega you groovy dude, you just ignored the friction of the wheels!"  but the truth is that the presence or absence of friction does not change the results of this problem.  As the plane accelerates, the wheels begin to turn.  The treadmill then speeds up to match the speed of the wheels but in doing so the relative speed of the wheels increases causing another increase in the speed of the treadmill much in the fashion of Zeno's Paradox.  What we have here is an infinite acceleration loop in the presence of friction and unless the airplane has titanium-reinforced, Teflon-coated, out of this world space wheels, the tires and eventually the axles as well will melt into a pool of molten lava.  Since the airplane has no wheels now, the treadmill's speed drops to zero and the airplane takes off amidst a cloud of smoke with Samuel L. Jackson onboard.

Also all the frictional force is tangent to the point of rotation so it goes directly into making the wheels spin, not slowing the plane down.

Sources:

  • http://waxy.org/2008/02/origins_of_the/
  • Original Russian post: http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=64:417