There are many methods of inducing hypnosis in a willing subject. These are called hypnosis inductions. Inductions fall into two major categories: incremental relaxation inductions and rapid inductions.

The method outlined in the original node is a standard incremental relaxation induction. The idea is, essentially, to bore the subject into hypnosis. You tell the subject to relax and give them suggestions of sleepiness until they have relaxed to the point where you can communicate directly with their subconscious. Today, incremental relaxation inductions are thought of as somewhat old fashioned.

The rapid induction is what you might see performed at a stage hypnosis show. There are many rapid inductions used by therapeutic and stage hypnotists. The method outlined below is one of the more popular one-on-one techniques. It is important to realize that for any induction to work, your subject must be aware of what is going on and must consent to be placed into hypnosis.

    The release from tension method

    You and your subject sit opposite each other. Have him place the palm of his left hand against the palm of your left hand. Tell him to press hard against the palm of your hand as you press hard against his. You have developed a state of tension between you. Now tell him to look into your eyes and think of sleep as he continues to press hard against your hand. Let the tension mount, and when it has reached a peak suddenly withdraw your hand. The result will plunge the subject forward in his seat. At this psychological moment exclaim:

    "SLEEP! GO TO SLEEP THIS VERY MOMENT NOW!"

    Push the subject's head down in your lap. A few more suggestions of "Sleep, deep sleep, etc." and the hypnosis is complete.

This method is from The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism by Ormond McGill, long considered to be the most complete reference book on the subject. The reason this method works is that at the moment you remove your hand, the subject is in a disoriented state and their subconscious mind will grasp any command given it, almost indiscriminately. It is important to note that the first time you successfully use this induction, it happens so quickly that you will probably be stunned.

If you neglect to give your subject further suggestions (even just telling them that they are doing well, deep sleep, etc.) they will come out of hypnosis quite quickly. After the induction your best bet is to give the subject the suggestion that when you use a particular word they will return to this state. Then you can bring the subject out and return them to this state more easily in the future.

Anyone considering performing hypnosis on someone should probably take a class on the subject, or at least read a few of the books about it. I highly recommend anything by Mr. McGill, particularly the work quoted above.