My folks came to visit me in Seattle one summer and, not having anything better to do with them, I did what any red-blooded American would do: I took them on a motorcycle tour of Canada.

We took our motorcycles (my BMW K1200RS and a rented Harley Davidson touring bike for the folks) onto the ferry from Seattle to Victoria, BC and stayed in a hotel for a few days while we toured the area. We drank a lot and smoked Cuban cigars (well, Dad and I did the smoking). One night we went to a sushi bar in Victoria that featured a magician that went from table to table doing magic tricks after your meal.

His name was Tony Eng, owner of Tony's Trick and Joke Shop (http://www.magictrick.com/), and he was very good. For a good half hour he made things disappear and did other interesting tricks. Every time he made something disappear he'd ask the people at the table, "Where'd it go?" and then point to a glass near the center of the table. Invariably the missing object would be underneath the glass. Everyone was astounded.

At one point he asked my father to sign his name to a card (the 6 of spades). Somehow or other the card disappeared and reappeared underneath that glass. A good time was had by all and we paid the bill and left.

A few days later we got on an early ferry back to Seattle and we were all very tired. We dozed in a few chairs with our feet on a coffee table in a corner for a while. When we woke up, there was a glass of orange juice on the coffee table. Underneath the glass was a 6 of spades, complete with my father's signature and the note: "It's under the glass." We were all shocked.

We searched the ferry and found Tony Eng along with a handful of other magicians on their way to a convention in Seattle. Knowing he was aboard the ship didn't make the trick any less amazing -- if we hadn't found him we all would have thought another family member put it there. Undoubtedly the best (if not lowest-tech) trick I've ever seen.