From a pamphlet I got at a Nader lecture I just attended:
 

Honored by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential Americans of the Twentieth Century, consumer activist Ralph Nader has devoted his life to giving ordinary people the tools they need to defend themselves against corporate negligence and government indifference.    With a tireless, selfless dedication, he continues to expose and remedy the dangers that threaten a free and safe society.  In 1965, Nader took on the Golaith of the auto industry with his book, Unsafe at Any Speed, a shocking expose of the disregard car makers held for the safety of their customers.  The Senate hearing into Nader's accusations and the motor vehicle laws that resulted catapulted Nader into the public sphere.

Nader whickly built on the momentum of that success.  Working with lawmakers, he was instrumental in creating the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.  Laws he helped draft and pass include the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Meat and Poultry Inspection rules, and the Freedom of Information Act.  Working to empower the average American, Nader has formed numerous citizen groups, including the Center for Auto Safety, Public Citizen, Pension Rights Center, the Coalition for Universities in the Public Interest, and the student public interest research groups (PIRGs) that operate in over twenty states.  In his latest citizen initiative, he is working with alumni classes, including his own at Princeton University and Harvard Law School, to redirect their efforts from parties and reunions to volunteerism and community projects.

Believing that Republicans and Democrats are so close ideologically he calls them "tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum," Nader organized presidential campaigns in 1992 and 1996 to challenge the "duopoly" of the two-party system.  His goal is to build the foundation of a third political party that rallies around issues rather than colorful figureheads.  His best-sselling books include Winning the Insurance Game, Why Women Pay More, and Getting the Best from Your Doctor.  His most recent consumer education books are Children First: A Parents Guide to Fighting Corporate Predators and No Contest: Corporate Lawyers and the Perversion of Justice in America.

Nader is listened to intently by both private and corporate audiences. Years after they graduate, college students tell him how his lecture evening changed their lives.  His message is simple and compelling: "To go through life as a non-citizen would be to feel that there's nothing you can do, that nobody's listening, that you don't matter.  But to be a citizen is to enjoy the deep satisfaction of seeing pain prevented, misery avoided, and injustice decline."