previous

NEWDEV LOG #3

A very brief update on my personal coding crusade

For the past two weeks I've been trying to get a functioning ECore test site up and running on my laptop (a 2004-era Thinkpad running the latest Ubuntu Linux). This has been going... poorly.

In order to build a working ECore site, you must first get Linux, Apache, mySQL and Perl (the so-called LAMP stack) all working in harmony. I'm learning a lot about the fundamental programs that make ECore go, but it's frustrating. The whole process is hampered by my near-total ignorance of Apache.

Also, my near-total ignorance of Linux, mySQL and Perl.

Also, I'm illiterate and my arms end in hooves. So that's a problem...

le sigh.

I've basically sworn-off even looking at E2's codebase until I can get this test site set up. I realize it's standard practice around here to muck with the codebase liberally and server errors be damned but, dude, I dunno. Programming on a live server gives me the heebee-jeebees real bad.

To me, there are very few software fixes that are worth potentially burning our site to the ground with a misplaced semicolon. To each their own.

~RP

Next time... installing an Everything Engine on your laptop! one that works maybe!

next