Citizen:

I live in Atlanta, Georgia, where there is considerable knowledge in computer science. Atlanta is in the Southeastern United States.

Perhaps your title should have read Lack of Knowledge in Computer Science in Public Schools in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

I am not trying to be rude, but your generalization concerning the Southeastern US is in fact, untrue. Atlanta is a major force in the computer industry, with major hubs of companies like Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Compaq, Lucent Technologies and Microsoft, not to mention countless smaller computer companies. The Georgia Institute of Technology as well as The University of Georgia host two of the most respected Computer Science Colleges in the country. Atlanta is also home to companies like Extreme Logic, that provide certification training to those in the computer field.

I agree that public schools (at least the ones I went to here in Georgia) are sorely lacking in computer expertise. It seems to me, though, that this may not be all that bad. What do you think would happen if public schools all over the country began providing excellent educational opportunities in computer science? There would be more individuals going into college and then the workforce with a great deal of knowledge in computers, thus flooding the marketplace with supply. Salaries would drop and it would be more difficult to find a job. Not too appealing, huh?