Gin and a vermouth - originally of the Martini brand. In a cocktail glass. Sometimes with an olive on a toothpick. But you were thirsty, not hungry, right? Right. Served cold, very cold.

This is one of the few drinks with an inherent dress code, and certainly the most strict one. Other drinks, such as Mint Juleps or frozen daiquiries are best served on a patio a hot summer afternoon and preferably imbibed whilst dressed in somewhat casual attire, perhaps a pair of khaki shorts, a short sleeved white shirt or blouse and, if need be, a panama hat. The martini provides no such freedom of choice - the 'black tie' is the motto. The Law.

Want to make one? Here's how:
Put gin and vermouth - ooh, watch it: got to be Extra Dry vermouth - in the freezer. Ice bucket won't do (lest ye have some dry ice or similar ultracold substance). Put the mixing glass and the cocktail glass in the freezer, as well. Make some ice for mixing. Fill the mixing glass with ice, add martini and gin (with a martini-gin ratio of about 1:4). Stir. Since the dry martini is a clear drink it is stirred, not shaken. Trust me on this. Pour into glass (Looks like Y). If you are in a festive mood, add an olive, preferably on a toothpicker for ease of removal. Sip.