While I am myself a big fan of the Smurfs, I do not believe that theirs is in any way a perfect society.
  • First, while they do practice a form of collectivism, the right to private property quite clearly remains. In many episodes, this right is taken very seriously by several of the Smurfs. Or, conversely, they can show impatience with that concept. Remember the episode when Tracker Smurf was the only one to prepare for the onset of winter, and how the other Smurfs ganged up on him and tore his coat to pieces?
  • The Smurfs clearly live in an autocratic society, since it is quite clear that they are, as a unit, too stupid to govern themselves without the guidance of Papa Smurf. Notice how easily they adapted to Brainy's repressive regime in the early episode when Papa leaves him in charge. They build Brainy a damn castle!
  • Re: the bomb and forgiveness points. Grouchy annhiliates Jokey with the kerplowie word after receiving an exploding gift. 'Nuff said.
  • Not all humans in the show are bad. What about Johan and Peewit? Or that teenager king guy? Or Homnibus?
  • Several points in one: There is no evidence in the show that a Smurf ever ate his own house. Brainy is constantly yelling at Clumsy for doing stupid things. Individual Smurfs make incessant demands on the talents of the artisan-Smurfs--how many times has Greedy been overwhelmed with specific food requests? Also, they obviously grow old; and though we've never seen a Smurf die per se, there is no evidence that they won't. In any event this is not convincing proof that the Smurf society is superior.

Don't get me wrong--I love the little blue guys. But the reason the show is compelling (well, in its own way, and maybe not after the Smurflings arrived) is that they're not a perfect society, and they have their share of troubles.