There is no excuse for boredom in Prague. You can pack a lot of exploring into a short visit, charging through its compact network of lanes, passages and cul-de-sacs, or spend weeks meandering along and slowly savouring its sights. Prague's prime attraction is its physical face. The city centre is a haphazard museum of 900 years' of architecture - Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, 19th-century revivals of all of them, and Art Nouveau - amazingly undisturbed by the 20th century.
Lonely Planet

History

Prehistoric artefacts demonstrate that the Prague site was already inhabited in the Stone Age. Its central position on the crossroads of key trade routes made the locality expand gradually. According to legends, the origins of Prague were prophesied by Libuse, tribe mother of the Premyslides:

"a city whose glory will rise to the stars..."

The Premyslides established themselves on the hills Vysehrad and Hradcany from the 9th century AD. Between the bastions, the city of Prague matured. Bohemian King Charles IV, also Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire from 1355, chose Prague to be the capital of the Empire. In this period of huge economical, cultural and intellectual growth, the city’s Charles University (1348) was the first institution of higher education in Central Europe, while the Ruler also decided to construct the famous Charles Bridge.

The start of the 15th century was a disturbed one. Protestant preacher and University lecturer Jan Hus turned against the power of the Roman Catholic Church, addressed to the Czechs in their own language (instead of the more commonly used German) and fought for more justified national and social conditions. After the Emperor convicted Hus to be burned at the stake for heresy, revolting Prague citizens threw two representatives of the Catholic Emperor out of a window of the Nove Mesto City hall: the Defenestration of Prague (1419).

The current city of Prague actually developed out of six independent districts which were unified in the eighteenth century; Stare Mesto (Old Town), Josefov (Jewish Quarter), Nove Mesto (New Town), Mala Strana (Lesser Town), Hradcany (Prague Castle) and Vysehrad (High Castle).

Czech national consciousness was put to the test under the Austrians as well. Cultural expression played a huge part in Czech nationalism as composers Bedrich Smetana en Antonin Dvorák were inspired by national legends and regional music, while in 1881 and 1891 respectively the National Theatre and the National Museum were erected. Only in 1918 the independent Czechoslovakian Republic was born, with Prague as capital.

World War II was horrid for Jewish Prague. Of the 40,000 Jews, no less than 36,000 died in Auschwitz and Teresienstadt (Terezin). The Russians liberated Prague on May 9, 1945.

When reformer Alexander Dubcek came into power in 1968, this marked the start of the Prague Spring. But the new freedom lasted shortly as the socialist neighbours did not approve and ended Dubcek’s “socialism with a human face”. As protest, Prague student Jan Palach burned himself on Wenceslas Square. In Prague of the seventies, dissident intellectuals put together a manifest named Charta 77, which called for the acknowledgement of human rights. One of them was Vaclav Havel, who was sentenced to jail for his Charta 77 efforts.

Former Prague Spring and Charta 77 personalities were arrested on a Jan Palach memorial in the Czechoslovakian capital in 1989, causing an uprising which eventually led to the Velvet Revolution. Since the divorce of the Czech and Slovak Republic in 1993, Prague is capital of the western part of the former Czechoslovakian nation.

Monuments

Some consider Prague to be the most striking city in Europe. In 1992 the historical centre covering an area of 866 hectares was listed in the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Register.

Other interesting facts

  • Prague is called Praha in Czech. The city is in Bohemia which is mainly plains and plateaux surrounded by low mountains. The Vltava (also called Moldau) river runs for 30.9 km through Prague, being 330m wide at most.
  • The city of Prague covers an area of 496 square kilometres with an official population of 1,213,800 (1997).
  • The average temperature in July is very pleasant (19,0°C), but the winters are cold with an average of -0,9°C in January.