Warning: Spoilers Ahead

While Stephen Baxter seems like a good scientist, and has some interesting ideas for plot elements, for the most part his stories are essentially minor variations on the same theme:

Earth is destroyed, but a few people escape.

Don't believe me? Let's look at some examples.

Ring
All of the stars in the universe are extinguished by Photino Birds, but a ship full of humans escapes to another universe.

Moonseed
The Earth is destroyed by an alien nanomachine. New heavy-lift vehicles are used to evacuate several million people to the moon.

Titan
An expedition of five people is sent to Titan. Two of them die. Meanwhile the US and China go to war on Earth, and China drops an asteroid onto the United States. They misjudge the size and eradicate all life on Earth. Then the people on Titan die too, but are resurrected by aliens.

Manifold: Space
Galactic civilization is destroyed by a chain reaction of gamma-ray bursts. A few beings (including one human) survive inside a device designed to prevent the next such catastrophe.

Longtusk
The age of modern man is beginning, and the mammoths are dying. A few mammoths escape to a remote island.

Silverhair
The island is becoming uninhabitable for mammoths, and humans are appearing. The few remaining mammoths escape to Mars.

This isn't true of all Stephen Baxter books, certainly, but it is of most. There have been collaborations with other authors which are very enjoyable, such as The Light of Other Days, with Arthur C. Clarke.