Colonization, by Microprose, was a computer game largely based on, and extremely similar to Civilization, the great turn-based strategy titan. Focusing on a single era in history (1500-1800), the player takes on the role of the discoverer of the New World, playing as either English, French, Dutch, or Spanish.
This New World can be the historically accurate Americas (North and South) or a randomly generated world with varying resources and challenges. Overseeing economic, military and political growth, gamers strive to establish independence from the mother country while competing with other colonies for control of the New World.

Players of Colonization will find a lot that is familiar (to Civilization) - and therefore easy to learn - plus new and exciting challenges. In Colonization, gamers can assign colonists to any of 20 different professions including farming, fur trading, weaving, mining, soldiering and so on. With Training, colonists can achieve mastery of their chosen skills, which increases their efficiency. This diversity and efficiency help make each colony productive and self-sufficient.
*
The overall goal of the game is to win independence from your country. Choosing forefathers (the equivalent of scrolls of knowledge), and building your population and military, half of the game is encopassed in preparing your Revolution. After this has begun, you must fight off the massive tory armies and verify your liberty.

While this may seem difficult in itself, the developers threw in another variable: Native Americans. Made up of several tribes with historically accurate traits and locations - I.E. the Inca, Aztec, Arawak, and Iroquois - they are easily be friended. You can make peace with them, attempting to make them allies against the expeditionary force your monarch will send after you declare independence, or you can simply wipe them out and loot their villages. Either way, they will play a huge role in how your colonies turn out.

A game of the early 90s (running on MS-Dos), Colonization was surprsingly addictive. Heavy players of Civilization easily fell in love with it, as it provided hours of turn-based, isometric fun. Unforunately, Microprose never fixed its difficulty levels, and there are still cases when significantly low level units will mysteriously destroy a higher level ones (I.E. a Spanish Caravel annihilating a British Man-O-War).

I guess some things never change.
* Microprose's official site - http://www.microprose.com